There are 3 core symptoms of ADHD: inattention, impulsivity, and hyperactivity. The following are examples of how ADHD symptoms may appear in adults.
Only a doctor or other trained health care professional can diagnose ADHD.
When we look at these symptoms we may all feel like we have a little ADHD but let’s work with what is good about it and what causes difficulties.
Symptoms of Inattention
• Often makes careless mistakes and lacks attention to details
• Often has difficulty paying attention to tasks
(Example: difficulty remaining focused during lectures, conversations, or lengthy readings)
• Often seems to not listen when spoken to directly
• Often fails to follow through on instructions, chores, or duties in the workplace
(Example: starts tasks but quickly loses focus and is easily sidetracked)
• Often has difficulty organizing tasks and activities
• Often avoids, dislikes, or is reluctant to participate in tasks requiring sustained mental effort, like preparing reports, completing forms, or reviewing lengthy papers
• Often loses things like tools, wallets, keys, paperwork, eyeglasses, and mobile phones
• Often easily distracted by other things, including unrelated thoughts
• Often forgetful in daily activities, such as running errands, returning calls, paying bills, and keeping appointments
Symptoms of Hyperactivity and Impulsivity
• Often fidgets with or taps hands and feet or squirms in seat
• Often runs or climbs where it is inappropriate or feels restless (in adults, may be limited to feeling restless)
• Often unable to participate in leisure activities quietly
• Often acts as if “on the go” or “driven by a motor”
• Often talks excessively
• Often blurts out an answer before a question has been fully asked
• Often has difficulty waiting his or her turn, for example, while waiting in line
• Often interrupts or intrudes on others
How ADHD May Appear in Different Settings?
ADHD symptoms may affect adults at home, at work, or at school, and in social situations. For a diagnosis of ADHD to be made, symptoms must be present in two or more settings.
Please subscribe to our Youtube Channel so you can see the latest news at Eyewear Gallery https://youtube.com/eyeweargallery EyewearGallery.com Dr. Warren Johnson| Dr. Do Nguyen